Sunday, September 24, 2006

When Something not Special becomes Special


On another usual day of last week, I received a spontaneous call from a friend of mine to have dinner together. We went to a Chinese restraunt near by my house and we had 2 plates of dumplings. Nothing special. "I realized that I have not many friends here," I said. " Who has in the city, the city for Biz, my dear." he smiled and added. "You have me." "Right, but you are leaving soon," I replied. " Still, I am you friend, right?” His departure would not be so special. I already had enough farewell parties for my friends who had left the city for good. We clacked fortune cookies and both got nothing-special-proverbs...something like "success follows by efforts." What a special wisdom! As the usual course of after dinner thing, we had a cigarette and coffee. 5 fire trucks were speeding away with their sirens wailing as usual, letting all know about someone's suffering. Then, when they all pulled over my street, it became a little special. We followed them like curious onlookers, but nothing was happening. Right, we forgot for a minute that America loved making a big drama out of nothing. We headed home and had a chat about art with a few cup of tea. After we parted, I watched "Sex and City," as a part of my adgenda nowadays and went into a bed as usual time. On that day, nothing was really special. Then, when I woke up in the morning on the following day, I realized that this kind of nothing special IS something special in the city. More over, the fact that he, a German artist who has been here for 7 years is going to leave for China within a few weeks to start up a new life made the night more special. Sometimes, in life, one familiar affair becomes more meaningful than an occasional special event. Surely, it was the night when just one usual dinner with my friend happened to become special.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home