Sunday, August 27, 2006

a date


It has been wet and gray, raining on and off in the city. If not going out, I like it, giving a great sense of tranquility. This weekend, I had a date with myself. First I took myself to the MOMA to study art history especially in 40's to now all over again. I took a long time to view each painting. After one round, I started back again. Though I am working in art biz, I was ignorant, having a smattering of art history in the University where I had been. "Without knowing the background of general or art history, one cannot appreciate art, “ often be said. Before I was not really for the notion, as art should speak itself. In other words, art should be strong and aesthetic enough to convey universal understanding. Yet, I was totally wrong and too idealistic. Without knowledge of any art or historical movement behind, one will never get the point of "ready made," by Duchamp. It is not about whether one will like it or not. It is about the history. So, this time in the MOMA, I for the first time felt as if I understood overall art history, then even enjoyed some paintings that I never was captivated before. With my light steps, I left the museum, feeling that I took one step closer to some enlightenment. Then, for this reward, I fed myself a hotdog with a coffee in Central Park under the cloudy sky. For the rest, I cooked and read a lot. Today, more quiet. I joined some Qui going class this morning, came home, and stayed home, studying again art history. I felt a bit lonely, but tonight some visitors unexpectedly visit me. Ladybugs.... five of them. (If they are 5 of cockroaches, I will die in a heart attack.) They look like one family, as the sizes are variable. The biggest one, which I think the dad, is moving here and there, while the rests are staying together. They put my face smile. Rains calmed my mind and the ladybugs brought warmth. My date was very romantic in the end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home