Friday, August 25, 2006

What makes an piece of art


so special? To answer the question is, I guess, as hard as to find out how a human being was born in the first place. The other day, with a friend of mine, an art collector, I went to two museums; the National Philadelphia Museum and the Brandywine River Museum in Philly. Among so many master pieces that we saw, there was one painting that etched into my mind and still remained clearly in the back of my head. It was "Snow Hill," by Andrew Wyeth. It depicts several of Andrew Wyeth's models (including Bill Loper, Helga Testorf, Adam Johnson, Karl Kuerner and Ann Kuerner) dancing around a May Pole in white field and sky for the background. It was breathtaking for me. Right, his technique was great, but there were so many artists whose technique was killer. Surely, art is all about one's taste, period.... Really? Is that ever all? This feeling of, " Wow, I love the piece," is actually similar to that feeling of, "Wow, I crashed on HIM." Why the him and the piece? What clicks you and why are you so sure about it? In that sense, art is a living creature, even though it doesn’t hold or kiss you. Coincidentally, an established artist whom I met recently told me about his dream last night at dinner, " It is hard to make an art that can move people, so my dream is to create something that can move just myself." I listened, thinking about Weyth's painting in my mind. "I think that art or a painting is not only about the surface. I believe that art is about something deeper in some energy levels, " he continued. " which is ironically invisible," I added. I do agree on him. Still, my question is not clearly answered in words. Perhaps, it is better to leave like that. In life, there is always something that is impossible or unnecessary to explain. However, we know always that "something," deep down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home