Wednesday, March 29, 2006

It has been exactly for 4 years,


since I came to NYC. I still remember hospital-like smell of the Salvation Army residence in the midtown where I stayed for the first 6 weeks. I had to wait for an hour at the waiting room for some reasons after the long trip on the airplane from Japan. People were not so nice. In fact, I was freaked out with the lady next door who came out shouting at me, when I was about to get into my room. It was around 2pm or so, but she wore a pair of pajamas. "What kind of place is this?" I wondered. I felt as if I had been in an asylum. My room was so small with the only sink and smelled like mold. I left everything in Tokyo and now was in the completely unknown world and future. I knew nobody. I felt like crying and did. I immediately unpacked my stuff and put up the photographs of my mother and friends. I did not build up concrete and solid life in Japan, but I had them and things familiar and comfortable. I was already over 30 at that time. For a little while, I regretted about my decision. I was scared of the subway, so I kept walking without knowing where to go to change my mood. It was still cold and windy. I stepped onto the streets firmly in order to really feel the fact that I came all the way. For a few weeks after my arrival, whenever I got out of the subway and walked towards the wrong direction, I didn't turn around. Thanks to the grid of the streets, I could change the direction by walking the entire block. I didn't want to look like a stranger or tourist. Now, I don't hesitate to turn around or I don't get so lost, which is not only about on the streets but also on my mind. I lit an insane tonight for the first day of NYC. I do want to say thank my decision, challenge, will and experiences first, then all the supporters especially my mother, then all the people whom I met here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home