Monday, December 12, 2005

Directly to my soul

I went to the Neue Galerie last Saturday to see the show of Egon Schiele. I am a big fan of his works. He depicts a human with only lines and strong colors. It was compelling to see that lines and colors can evoke sensitive human feelings. By omitting backgrounds or any ornamental thing, his drawings are heightened various human emotions with intricate use of the lines. Those human emotions are, of course, universal and beyond time. Therefore, you would associate some of his drawings with yourself. Depending on your state of mind, different drawings will speak to your heart. In my case, his self-portrait with red eyes talked to me that day, as I was not feeling good. When I visit there again, it will be different. After the show, I stopped by the bookstore and I found a book of Rilke; Rilke on Love and other difficulties. I read his book, called," Letter to a young poet," long time ago. This book inspired me, and it became one of my bible books. What was great about the book was to acknowledge about his struggle, concerns, questions about life, and desire to learn. All of them were also my concerns, struggle, question, and desire to learn. I feel as if I were having a conversation with Rilke, having a cup of tea. It is a bit depressing to know that no matter how the technology advances, human's inside has not progressed so much. However, I was relieved about the fact that I was not only one who felt like Rilke had felt. Feeling empathy always gives me great encouragement, assuring me like," If he or she lives despite the difficulties, I can live as well." Being honest to yourself is hard. People like Egon Schile or Rilke were surely honest to themselves, therefore, their creation coming from their soul speaks directly to my soul.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, my mom wanted to go to Neue Gallery this weekend ... remember to call them. They'd love to see you too!
O

3:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home