Monday, December 05, 2005

legend of snow

When I opened my window, I found the ground slightly covered with snow last Saturday. Wow! I jumped. I love all about snow. I feel uplifting when I see everything completely covered with pure white and dazzling powder snow. I feel so calm and holy, when I hear the sound of falling snow. "SHIN SHIN" is the description of the sound of falling snow in Japanese, which is hard to translate in English. Try to say it, then you may get a sense of this. I have my legend about snow: Everywhere I go, I seem to bring snow. Since I moved into NYC, the coldness of the winters has been breaking the records, having heavy snows. People said to me in my first year of NY, " This year is the coldest winter for a few decades, you are unfortunate." Second year as well as my third year, people told me the same thing. "Huh?" When I was in Athens for vacation 2 years ago, a big snowstorm hit this town. Not only that, I caught the moment of falling snow in the top of the hill, which was the highest point in this town. People there told me that it never had snowed until then for hundred years. It means that they never had seen it in their life, unless people were over hundred years old, which was hard to find. All were, of course, excited and everyone started taking picture of it. The funny thing was that they had no idea about how to drive in snow. As another example, when I went back to Japan two winters ago, I went to Nagano prefecture for hot spring. Then again, a big snowstorm hit aggressively, just when we arrived in the town. When I woke up next morning, the town was completely all white and the accumulation of it was like about 30". People there told us that it had been long time, since they had that much of snow. I stop here, although I have more stories about snow. Anyway, I was born in the coldest time of the year, February, so it is natural that I love snow. Regarding my legend, I feel as if god in the sky gave me a present, called "snow.” My friend once said to me, " Don’t come back to Japan, because you always brought cold wind." Well, I am sorry my friend, but I am going back to Japan soon again. So, let's see if my legend is still valid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home