Tuesday, February 21, 2006

speaking of music,


I once was a music reviewer for a web mag in Japan. The target readers were working women in their thirties. Well, I myself didn’t have knowledge of music or whatsoever, even though I was djing from time to time. Plus, I was too lazy to remember the musicians' name. (These things haven’t been changed by even now.) In addition, I was almost angry at the brief comment of records at record stores. All I see is technical terms there. "The piano sound has a sense of "XX," (someone's name) or the collaborations with "XXX," and "XXXX," blur blur and blur. They just gave me "question mark" in my head. Perhaps, for professional djs or music intellectuals, the info like these will be helpful, but not for someone like me. So, when I shop records, I just listen, listen and listen. Your ears know everything you need. So, what I did for the web mag, I rebelled against those technical comments. Sometime, I wrote the articles that had nothing to do with music, " when you listen to this tune, you may feel like having a lemon iced tea," or " you may feel as if you are caught in summer shower in a jungle." I actually enjoyed it and got good feedbacks. Here in NY, then, I again feel annoyed with art writings. Reading artists' statement or reviews gives me just question marks, headache and confusion. Yes, my English level isn’t so sophisticated enough to understand or articulate myself. Yet, I wonder why people like making things so difficult and complicated. What for? Especially for music and art, which has been created as an alternative form of communication with human beings that should be independent from words, why do we need more than that? Please give me a break, I shall say. The reason why I wrote music was to give some information that people can understand, not to show off some knowledge or to confuse people. Universally understanding is highly important for me. In order to understand something and be understood, simple explanation is enough!? Do you want to be understood or want to be confused? I say out loud that I am not intelectual and I don't want to be. However, I am inteligent enough to know what people need or expect.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicely said, I totally agree...people hide behind a mask of intellectualism because either they are scared of the truth or then they don't really know what it is...or then they have this superficial need to appear a certain way. People are too complicated for their own good!
O

2:09 PM  
Blogger seeds said...

Chao, Ooooo! I guess you are the only reader for my blog. Thank you always for your support. I will keep up on this! I just received your portfolio. For that I will give you feedback privately!
hope you are well. love

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home