Wednesday, April 02, 2008

I grabbed a cab,


"How are you doing today Miss?" he greeted with a thick Indian accent. " I am fine, thank you," with a thick Japanese accent, I replied. He is nice for a NY cab driver, I thought. After a few blocks passing by, "What do you do?" he broke the silence. " I am working in a gallery." " Oh great! You know my friend from Bangladesh had a show in 27th street….in the new tall building. You know?" "I know, he must be good then," hey, he knows what he talking about, I thought. "You know, he bought 2 houses in Long island, but you know, to be an artist is not stable financially. You make money, but next day you don't." "Right, but he has freedom instead," I went. "Are you an artist?" he asked. "No, never. No talent," I replied. " What’s your sign?" He changed the subject relatively radically. " What? My star sign?" "Yes, your star sign. " "Aquarius." "Brilliant!!! You are smart!" --Ok, now he is really talking-- I did think. "How do you know?" Isn't that a girl's stuff, is it, I didn’t say that. "I know, because I studied and I can do a palm reading. I did it for many celebrities like Mr. xxx, Mr. Yy, and…." None of the names were familiar to my ears. " So, then read mine!" I sticked my right hand to his seat through a hole in a plastic cover. He held the handle with his left hand and grabbed my right hand with his right hand. "You live long. You are very smart. You have fortune, a lot of money. OH, you ARE a good writer!!!!" "All right, you know? That’s what I want to be!" "You are!!" There was full of excitement in a bit stinky old yellow cab. I liked that.
Someone might say, " Are you goanna believe in what a cab driver said?" I say, " why not?" Yes, he asked me my number after all which I didn't give, so his "I-can-read-a-palm" could be just a mean of picking a girl up. However, still why not for me. First of all, it is good to hear something good about you from a guy, isn't it? Secondly, it wasn’t cliché kind remarks, like "you look cute, " or no words with just seductive gaze, which in fact turned me off. (I am not young enough to jump out of a chair just because some guys think I am hot. Mostly, I will want to say, "What do you know about ME? Do you know my age by the way?") What this cab driver said was not like the remark s that could feed women's vanity, yet his remarks did feed my vanity or make me jump out of a back seat of the car. Let's say he was trying to pick me up, yet how could he possibly know about what I want to be.... a writer? Coincident? Could it be said that just because he has a gift to see something that most of people can't see? He is not the only one who said "you are a good writer." to me over 6 years. My professors in my University in NY, afew psychics, tarot reader and so forth. Ho ho ho! anyhow, he made my day…no actually more than day, through just a few miles of drive. This event was like an angel pushed my back assuring my secret dream.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home