Sunday, April 13, 2008

the cherry blossom


I was invited by my friends to have a cherry blossom feast at their friends' house in Port Washington today. It was chilly and I felt dull due to the pollen allergy, yet one-hour train ride took us a refreshing and cozy atmosphere. The house was located in a small hill in a small forest like land and between the houses there was a small creek. The birds were singing and the cherry blossoms at their garden were in almost full bloom. Kids were running around the garden not being interested in the food or the flowers and grown-ups were nothing but eating and drinking for at least 4 hours straight. With one Japanese dish after another under the cherry trees, I did feel home.
In Japan, the cherry blossoms were already over. There, it is traditional to have a feast under the cherry trees, which we call "Hanami." It literally means, "viewing cherry blossom," yet in reality it is more about the food and drinks: getting crazy. We even have a cherry blossom forecast on TV like for the weather. We as crazy Japanese even stay over a few nights at a park to reserve the best spot for "Hanami." Indeed, it IS a big thing in Japan.
It was the cherry blossom season when I left Tokyo for NY 6 years ago. One day before my departure, I went to a park near by my house to say a good bye to the cherry blossoms. They were swinging the brunches, giving me the shower of the pink pedals and said, "see you next year." 6 years have quickly passed and I've never seen them again since that day. Every spring I see the cherry blossoms, I think about them. Well, I didn't imagine at all that my life would settle where I am now. I don't know where I will be and what I will do 6 years later from now. I feel fear and worries about the future like that day in 6 years ago under the cherry trees when I was excited, but felt absolute fear for unknown, with my stomach squeezed and my hands sweated. Yet, there wasnĂ…ft really anything to be worried, as I am here now. Right, It tells me that life itself takes one to the most appropriate place or stage to be. Like a pollen is taken to somewhere by the wind and lands on the earth to grow. Life goes on and I keep moving and growing. My flower will bloom and new pollen will be taken to a different place. All I need to do is to just follow the wind. A peaceful day like today did assure me that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home