Monday, January 08, 2007

a snow fairy


Once upon a time, there was a snow fairy who made the world all sparkling white, and brought a sense of innocence to everybody from the youth to the elderly. This sounds romantic, doesn't it? Well, I might be the one in the modern time, as I tend to attract snow wherever I travel in winter. (My case was not as romantic as the real fairy's story.) My mother and I went to Santa Fe to spend the holidays. Holding a tour book and printed papers listed places to visit, we were excited about this unknown land and planned going to the desserts, some ancient Indian sites and spiritual places. After 3 days, yet, a big snowstorm hit the town, which continued for 3 days. It was the biggest one for 50 years. The accumulation of the snow reached 30" or more. We stayed in a mountain and all the surrounded mountains became completely white and looked like a Christmas cake covered by sugar coat. We felt bewitched in what our eyes looked at and what we heard in falling snow. Putting the tour guide book aside, we enjoyed making a few snowmen, which were soon cover up by more snow, jumping on the accumulated snow, looking at the snow crystals, and riding a sled. However, for some people, it was an absolutely disaster. The roads to the town and the highways there were all shut down. The newspaper wasn’t delivered for a few days. People who were supposed to stay at the lodge could not make it and people who were supposed to leave had to postpone their departures. People working there ended up staying at the lodge without the way to go home and of course we were snowed up in the mountain. Even just by walking in the property, I fell on my buttocks for 3 times, seeing fireworks in my head. I saw one lady broken her wrist who was taken to a hospital. This big snow reminded me of when I went to Athens with my ex. We were in Athens a couple of winter ago, and we had a big snow, which never had happened for 100 years. In fact, we caught the moment of snowing at a cafe in the highest hill there and we were the only customers. (Though the relationship with him didnÅft work out, it was the romantic moment in the entire time with him.) Everybody in Athens has never seen snow (unless he or she was over 100 years old). People were out on the streets to photograph the snowfalls and all the cars were either stuck or spinning around. My ex, a dj, had a gig that night, but not many people showed up, as they could not move. Anyhow, I have this big-snow-for-xx years' experience more. Although we could not use the guide book for Santa Fe, the snow was a gift from the sky for us fo sure. Sometimes, we all need to have a break from an ordinary, which the snow enables us to do. Whether people agree on me or not, I am the fairy snow and I love it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home