Saturday, December 06, 2008

Luxury on Saturday Night


While arty people are frantically shopping around art at the fairs in Miami this week---well, that seems over, --so I will have to say, they might have turned into hunters who are vigorously seeking out ever-bigger bargains against the backdrop of deepening deflation, I stayed "quiet-in" tonight, enjoying a doing-nothing-luxury. I was going to jump on the airplane after the gallery to catch the fragment of what's up in Miami, which I did last year in the name of research, but I decided "no hustle." My physical, mental and financial conditions stopped me this rather crazy plan. So, Chelsea, as is always the case, was dead like a ghost town this week and got even worse with the economy crisis. So tonight, with no plans or obligations after work, I stopped by my gym to use sauna. Feeling good to sweat up. With light steps, I stopped by a Japanese supermarket to buy some junk foods. Feeling bad after doing good, yet it is the Saturday, who cares? Getting home, I found one package delivered all the way from Japan--from my friend/artist. With excitement, I tore the wrapping paper and opened it without taking off my shoes. There were his catalogues and one artwork, a screen print framed, by him as a gesture to thank me for putting his work in a group show held at Zone Contemporary Gallery last month. Wow, that was a big and lovely surprise. I have to say not many artists are appreciative for all the work we as gallerists do like him. They can be really dickhead and wise-ass. Putting facial pack on my face and being bundled up, (my house is freezing inside, so I look like a homeless at HOME.) lazily, I lay down on my couch and grabbed Friday New York Times, reading some articles about how fucked up the economy situation was now…. (FYI: MOCA is facing financial crisis...) Drinking teas with rice crackers (Japanese junk snacks), I just felt content suddenly despite suffering of the world... I mean money is like water: It comes and goes. I was never rich in the first place. Plus, if I had made a “go” to Miami, I would have been still in the airplane now and found myself like a dead fish after the week of work. Sometime, you know, you just need a break from commotion and the world around you. So, tonight was the night for only myself and I got the artwork gifted. My luxury is right here within my studio apartment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home