Saturday, July 03, 2010

Art Basel

I stayed in Basel for Art Basel for a week.

Wowing in artworks,
reuniting with my ex bosses and good old friends,
meeting new people,
visiting to an artist studio,
sneaking out of the fairs to watch the world cup,
dining and (wining-not for me)
sipping six cups of espresso a day with the real chocolates,
walking though beautiful nature, old houses and buildings,
I could not be happier.

One complain I have is that everything in Switzerland is too expensive.
I ordered just a cup of coffee, a piece of cake for myself and a bottle of water for my friend.
It was like almost 20 swiss fran. We thought the cashier was miscalculating, yet she was NOT.
Well, a bottle of water cost 6 swiss Fran at the fair.
"Ahhh, Hello? Excuse me, but it is just water!!!"
I wanted to cancel one thing, but there were fancy people behind us waiting to order, so I was too embraced to cancel. (My stupid pride!!)
My right hand was shaking, giving her cash.
Anyways, I learnt from the mistake; I never bought anything at the fair. (still at Kiosk, a bottle of water cost me 3 swiss fran though. ) Ai ai ai.

Back to art, the highlight was Basquiat's show at Foundation Beyeler.
The museum's walls were taken over by Large scale colorful paintings---in a one-after-another-style.
My jar was dropped. My eyes were wide open. My heart was beating fast. Right, Adrenaline kicked in big time. How could he possibly produce so many great works in such a short time?

Then Felix Gonzales-Torres installation was lovely.
Even though I'd seen the pictures of his installations, I never saw his actual works before. I almost jumped seeing it for the first time.
Well, my spirit flew up to the ceiling of the museum for sure.

I felt grateful that I could have a chance to stay in Basel, being soaked into beauty and love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home