Monday, September 12, 2005

Irving Place


This is my neighborhood and my favorite street in NY, Irving place. The street, Irving place, only runs from 14th to 20th street. As it is very small street, cars seems to avoid driving here. Thus, it is very cozy and quiet. There is my favorite cafe called "71 Irving Place." Due to my caffeine addiction, I try not to have coffee beans in my place. Therefore, I go to the cafe almost twice a day everyday. Due to my nicotine addiction, with a cigarette and a cup of coffee, I always sit on a bench that belongs to the café. Since I moved in this area, the café has been my agenda. I will say that my life in NY has really begun from this street. Here is the story. From the bench, I was always looking at inside of one apartment, which was facing the café. Through the windows, it looked funky and colorful with a few paintings on the wall. I was wondering who could live in such a cool apartment. It was last fall when I got a contact of an Italian independent curator who was looking for an intern through my classmate. I called he up to meet with her to give my name. After it turned out to be just 1 minute from my place, she said, "Oh! It is a good omen then." " Ha!" I was actually excited about the fact that she used the word, " omen," as only people who are familiar with spirituality use this word. It was indeed " a good omen” for me that she had said it. I got a sense of who she was. So, I finally went to her place to have an interview. Surprisingly enough, her place was the apartment where I had kept looking at every single day. " A good omen," again! Adding to it, she is Aquarius, so am I and she is an only child, so am I. Since then, I have been working as her assistant. Since then, I have been learning so much about the art scene in NY. Moreover, I have been involved with her show, “ ATOMICA.” I really want to bring the show in Japan, as it is about an atomic bomb. It was not just a good omen. It is meant to have met her. Her name is Ombretta, which means a little shadow in Italian.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, pleasant memories from there... you should do a blog on Empire Diner too... can't get sweet potato fries here...

1:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home